Out with 2023, on with 2024
December 31, 2023
2023 in a nutshell:
- I survived. It was one of the harder years. I didn’t get that promotion at work I was hoping for. I learned to let go of people. Got re-orged twice. Tried to cope with the increasing workload to the best of my ability.
- Recorded two podcast episodes that hopefully will be useful for someone
- Did not get a single backpacking trip in the whole year (see above)
- Visited Singapore in February and even got a hike in while there!
- Had a solo weeklong trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons
- Learned to roller skate, line dance and weave
- 53 hikes towards my 52 hike challenge - overall mileage 100 miles more than last year yet the hikes were shorter on average. There was a definite lack of long and hard hikes. Half way through the year I made it a priority to dedicate Sundays for hike days to maintain my sanity.
- 46 books read - less than usual and also more fiction in the second half of the year.
Aspirational list for 2023 (it’s long but not unreasonable):
- fill my own tank before helping others
- increase my savings rate by another 5%
- buy no clothes in 2024
- check one or two new national parks off my list
- go see Lake Louise
- get at least one backpacking trip in
- make that oh-shit-now-what plan
- learn something new
- spend more on experiences over material stuff
Written by Katrin Valdre who has a permanent address in Portland, OR but does not believe in one physical location. You should follow her on Twitter